APAO in Automotive and Transportation Overview
The continued growth in the automotive and transportation industries is paving the way for innovations in the hot melt adhesives market. These industries have been a significant revenue generator as adhesives are used in panel laminations, affixing trim, hotline fixing of car seats, and headlight assemblies. The varied uses have also contributed to advancements in adhesive development. APAO (Amorphous Poly Alpha Olefin) hot melt adhesives offer resistance to corrosion and moisture, chemical inertness, and resistance to UV rays.
These adhesives provide durability and reliability. They have high heat resistance, while also being able to function over a wide range of temperatures. They can be used for both interior and exterior applications.
At Hotmelt.com we always work to provide our customers the best adhesives and accessories. We are proud to partner with the leading APAO hot melt formulations in the world. Our customers have high expectations and we always strive to exceed those.
Hotmelt.com offers adhesives that have a broad array of capabilities. This means that there are adhesives available to match any customer’s needs. Our APAO product line offers products made with existing formulas and we can also custom formulate to meet any specification. Today we will look more closely at the APAO adhesives available for the automotive and transportation industries.
Adhesives are used in several key areas in the automotive and transportation industries including:
- Aftermarket Repair: APAO adhesives are used for repairs on cars, trucks, motorcycles and marine craft. Uses include reattaching body trim pieces, repairs to exterior equipment like headlights and tail lights, fixing interior components like dashboard trims, headliners and door panels and securing various panels.
- Electronics: Adhesives are used with automotive electronics to insulate and coat wires, boards, connectors and other components. Adhesives can also be used as gaskets to protect batteries, modules and power electronics. Adhesives are commonly used to protect wiring and connectors, increasing their durability. APAO adhesives are used for bonding displays and dashboard buttons and electronic motors.
- Assembly: APAO adhesives are used in the assembly process of vehicles including trucks and buses. They help create more durable vehicles while also making the manufacturing process more efficient. Adhesives are used on the assembly line, and are specifically used on interior assembly, body panels, HVAC, chassis, electronics and the paint line. They help build strong, visually pleasing vehicles that are more durable, quieter and more comfortable.
- Trucks and Trailers: APAO adhesives can be used to attach the wall skin to the frame of trailers, seal trim and other panels, bond the trailer bed to the frame and attach interior brackets.
About APAO Adhesives
APAO polymers are on-purpose, reactor-produced polyolefins produced with a proprietary catalyst and process called Liquid Pool. This means that they are able to offer a wide range of polymers with different physical and performance properties. Hotmelt.com can customize APAO polymers to meet different application and manufacturing needs. Their polymers are a staple in the manufacturing of hot melt adhesive and sealant systems. The compatibility of APAO polymers with solvents, tackifiers, waxes, some styrene block copolymers and other polymers make them highly sought after resins. There are four mains types of APAO:
1. Homopolymers of propylene
2. Copolymers of propylene and ethylene
3. Copolymers of propylene and 1-butene
4. Terpolymers of ethylene, propylene and 1butene
All of these types have different properties. When deciding which product is best for the job at hand there are several different factors to consider including:
- Melt Viscosity: This is the most distinctive property. It determines the degree of wetting or penetration of the material by the adhesive and gives an indication of the processability of the adhesive. It is typically determined at 375°F. The measurement of dynamic viscosity ranges from about 200 up to 150,000+ centipoises or cps.
- Needle Penetration: This indicates resistance to deformation, or hardness. When looking at thermoplastics and elastomers, hardness is often used to measure stiffness. Needle penetration indicates the resistance to deformation of the polymer.
- Ring and Ball Softening Point (RBSP): This indicates resistance to heat and ranges between about 175°-324°F. As is true with most polymers, APAO does not have a well-defined melting point. Instead, as the temperature increases, APAO becomes softer, changing from a solid to a high viscosity fluid over a wide temperature range. A high RBSP means that the polymer softens at a high temperature. A low RBSP means that the polymer softens at a lower temperature.
APAO Adhesive Options for Automotive and Transportation
Hotmelt.com offers several products that are well suited for the automotive and transportation industries including:
- REXtac 2115: Used for filter, headliner component and HVAC. Performance includes good initial tack, minimal residue tack, excellent cohesion, short open time, excellent thermal stability at 375°F after 48 hours, high tensile strength and application temperature between 325° and 375°F. The viscosity is 1500cps at 375°F and the softening point is 305°F.
- REXtac 2180: Used for headliner component and sound deadening. Performance includes good initial tack, minimal residue tack, excellent cohesion, short open time, high strength and application temperature of 325° to 375°F. The viscosity is 8000 cps at 375°F and the softening point is 318°F.
- REXtac 2304: Used for headlight bonding. Performance includes high initial tack, good cohesion, short open time of 20 seconds, thermal stability at 375°F, low tensile strength and application temperature between 325° and 375°F. Viscosity is 400 cps at 375°F and the softening point is 285°F.
- REXtac 2315: Used for batteries and headlight bonding. Performance includes high tack, good cohesion, thermal stability at 375°F, low tensile strength and application temperature between 325°F and 375°F. Viscosity is 1500 cps at 375°F and the softening point is 285°F.
- REXtac 2535: Used for batteries. Performance includes high tack, good cohesion, medium open time of 60 seconds, low tensile strength and application temperature between 325° and 375°. Viscosity is 3500 cps at 375°F and the softening point is 270°F.
- REXtac 2730: Used for load floor, sound deadening and bonding foam to foam. Performance includes high tack, good cohesion, long open time of 300 seconds, thermal stability at 375°F, and application temperature between 280°F and 375°F. Viscosity is 3000 cps at 375°F and the softening point is 230°F.
- REXtac 2788: Used for battery assembly, load floor, filter, headliner component, headlight bonding, and vibration and sound deadening. Performance includes high initial tack, medium open time of 60 seconds, thermal stability at 375°F, excellent tensile strength and application temperature of 300° to 375°F. Viscosity is 8500 cps at 375°F and the softening point is 245°F.
- REXtac 6825: Used for bi-laminate fabric on door and instrument panels. Performance includes minimal residual tack, excellent cohesion, short open time of 20 seconds, excellent stability at 375°F after 48 hours and application temperature from 350° to 375°F. Viscosity is 2600 cps at 375°F and the softening point is 313°F.
There are several key uses and features of APAO adhesives for use in the automotive and transportation industries including:
• Vibration and Sound Deadening
• Seat Construction
• Battery Assembly
• Load Floor
• Bi-laminate Fabric on Door and Instrument Panels
• Headliner Component
• Nonstructural Assembly
• Bonding Foam to Foam
• Headlight Bonding
APAO will improve your margin by stretching adhesive mileage and increasing productivity.
• APAO can be used NEAT
• More mileage - use up to 30% less adhesive
• Flexible open time
• Excellent thermal stability
• Improved productivity
The Bottom Line
Hotmelt.com takes pride in offering the best adhesive products for use in automotive and transportation. New innovation and customization options mean that they we always have the best products to complete the job efficiently and with high standards of strength and durability.